1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 cup red split lentils
3 cups water
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 dried hot red chili
1/2 tsp salt
2 roma tomatoes
For serving: cooked basmati rice, fresh cilantro, lemon and yogurt
1. Heat ghee or butter or in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot.
2. Add the onion to the pot and sautee, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and sautee, stirring frequently, until garlic is softening and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the curry powder, garam masala, ground coriander, ground cumin, and ground turmeric, and cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
5. Add to the pot the lentils, water, tomato paste, chili pepper and salt. Increase heat to high, bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat to low/medium-low and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender, stirring often and adding more water as necessary (the end result should be the consistency of a very thick soup), about 15-20 minutes.
6. Once the lentils are tender, stir in the tomatoes and cook for one minute more.
7. Remove daal from the heat, taste and adjust salt as necessary.
8. Serve over hot basmati rice, and top with a small sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lemon and a big spoonful of plain yogurt.